Saturday, April 21, 2012

Meatless Navajo Tacos


Navajo Tacos are standard Utah fair food - even our amusement park Lagoon sells them!
They are delicious - the bread is amazing!
The only major con is that they are very messy! (but oh so worth it!)

When looking up recipes the other day I couldn't find any meatless ones. So I tweaked one and made my own "healthier" version. No meat and whole wheat ;).

Navajo Fry Bread

4-5 C. Flour (going whole wheat you use 2 C. Whole Wheat flour & 2-3 C. White)
1/2 C.  Instant milk
3 1/2 tsp.  baking powder
2 C. Water
1 tsp. Salt

Oil for frying (veg oil best ~ 1 inch deep in a 10 inch - 12 inch fry pan.

Mix all ingredients (save oil) in a large bowl - pour in water last and mix well.
Knead dough lightly cover and set aside.
Heat one inch worth of veg oil in large skillet.
Pinch off dough into thin 8 inch circles.

Fry until golden on both sides
Drain onto paper towels.

Add topping of choice -
This time I cooked up refried beans, seasoned potatos, black beans and corn (grilled), lettuce, tomato, cheese, olives.
Spicy ranch dressing as a light topping.
I also recommend guacamole or avocados -  I just didn't have any on hand!

 Note: making these with whole wheat does change the taste and texture - if you want a lighter - tastier version use all white flour.
I had two reasons for going whole wheat - first off its better for you - second - I didn't have enough white flour left in my house! LOL

No comments: