Thursday, March 29, 2012

Home-Made Dishwasher Detergent



I have been using this for the last few weeks - and I LOVE it!
In all honestly I was hoping for a cheaper alternative with chemicals I trust and can pronounce.
I wasn't really expecting any difference between this and my cheap end store bought brand. (Yes I am a confirmed penny pincher)
That said - noticeable difference. No scum, no dots, bright shiny dishes.
Down side - will not get off the caked on stuff - rinse your dishes, don't allow stuff to get all hard, nasty and caked on.



Home-Made Dishwasher Detergent Recipe

1 C. Borax (recommended brand 20 mule team borax)
1 C. Washing Soda
1/2 C. Kosher Salt (I didn't have any on hand so I split between rock salt and table salt)
3/4 C. Citric Acid (I subbed for Lemony Shine as finding local Citric Acid has not been easy for me)

Mix it all together and store in an Air Tight container. Moisture will make it clump. You can add the left over, do not eat, pill pillows in to help stop the clumping.
Shake it up - mix it up - fill up the cup or use 1 tbls. (heaping)

Also instead of paying for an expensive rinse aid - use white or distilled vinegar.


To store I used a washed out (large) creamer bottle. This (pictured) is a double batch. Now that I know I will want to continue making my own I went ahead and made a second batch to fill up the bottle.

Dye Free Note - For families out there like mine that need to watch every single ingredient that is digested or used on/next to the skin. Making your own cleaners is more than just being economical and eco friendly, its something that you can tick off your list with a deep sigh of relief knowing that one more thing is safe for your family.
One more thing will not add or worsen any allergies.
One more way to sleep better at night. I know I am. ;)